[Ubuntu-BD] Potential Analysis: Custom Offline Repo

Pritimoy Das pritimoydas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:29:10 BST 2010

Hi all,

I use Gp's 1Gb net connection. Once I wanted to work on database. OS gives
word, spreed sheet and presenter by default in open office. So I searched
net and found obase. But when I wanted to download it i found that it is a
large file, my slow net connection and limited internet package is not
giving me hope to complete download. So i canceled. At that time I thought
about off line ripository. It is a demand of time in Bangladesh. (I solved
my database use related problem by cross-over)

I have a suggestion you may consider:

No need to create full 33 Gb ripository. The different people needs
different. Lets make some catagories:

1. One DVD containing All important Office related software. (Including Avro
for Linux to write bangla)
2. One DVD containing All important Medical and statistical software. (As I
am a doctor i feel it)
3. One DVD containing All important Engineering and technological
software.(Including multimedia)
4. One DVD containing 3D Games for linux. (Optional)

Now about distribution:

1. All these DVDs along with latest Ubuntu/Mint should be available in a
specific shop:
      1) One in IDB
      2) One in Multiplan center
      3) One in Basundhara shoping center.
      4) One in each divitional cities.

2. In all bangla forum and personal websites, there should be a sticky post
regarding availability of these DVDs, the name and address of the shops.

3. The price of each DVD should be printed in the back side. The price
should cover manufacturing cost, travel cost, distribution cost to these
shops and other cost if any. Price should be minimum so that no one can
blame about profit to the hard workers behind this project.

4. There should be specific contact person(s), if any one wants any DVD(s),
he will send {DVD cost + Currier/postal cost} so that contact person can
send the DVD(s).

I think, If this is possible, it will be a great achievement to spread Linux
in our country.

With thanks

Dr. Pritimoy Das

2:28 pm, 28-07-10