[Ubuntu-BD] Ext3 or jfs

Angel fedora at linux.org.bd
Sun Nov 23 12:16:35 GMT 2008

Well. When I first heard about JFS. I did a little research on it on the
net.

Based on various sites forums and blogs, *XFS appears to be the most
appropriate filesystem* to install on a file server for home or small
business needs :

   - It uses the maximum capacity of your server hard disk(s)
   - It is the quickest FS to create, mount and unmount
   - It is the quickest FS for operations on large files (>500MB)
   - This FS gets a good second place for operations on a large number of
   small to moderate-size files and directories
   - It constitutes a good CPU vs time compromise for large directory
   listing or file search
   - It is not the least CPU demanding FS but its use of system ressources
   is quite acceptable for older generation hardware

While Linux Gazette Authors, *Justin Piszcz* did not explicitly recommand
XFS, he concludes that "Personally, I still choose XFS for filesystem
performance and scalability". I can only support this conclusion.

Angel
GPG key: 0xC4639705
Bangladesh Linux Users Alliance
Fedora Ambassador Bangladesh