[ Ubuntu-BD ] How to write Program for Linux ?

Tarin Mahmood tmahmood at arenamobile.com
Thu May 15 16:29:16 BST 2008

While Java is a Very powerful Programming language, Developing GUI is a
pain, seriously! I'm yet to find a decent GUI builder for it, The best one
is probably netbeans which generates ugly codes. I wonder why they are not
using XML based GUIs like glade3 uses.

For a beginner Gui development in Java will be very very frustrating. I'll
suggest go with a simple One, and Python will be best IMO. Go with wxWidget,
I've not used it but heard good things about it. I personally use
Glade3+libglade+python which does its job pretty nicely

Python will be very easy to learn for you as you already know Ruby. They
have some similarities.

But I suggest if you want to program in Linux then learn C. it is the best
programming language. as Linux is not all about GUI programs ;)

There is a book name Advanced Linux Programming, its a free book, get it ...
it will help you to get started in Linux programming ;)

good luck