USN-186-1 (mozilla, mozilla-firefox) updates broken on Hoary

John Dong john.dong at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 09:50:38 CDT 2005

Yeah, I've been looking at this issue. The transition was done around
1.0.2-1.0.5, when Ubuntu didn't release any updates for several security
vulnerabilities in Firefox. As a result, Backports team just pulled the
latest Breezy package (which has undergone mozilla-firefox->firefox
transitions), and had to re-create the mozilla-firefox transitional package
because devhelper depended on a specific version of mozilla-firefox that
just a virtual Provides: line could not satisfy. We certainly didn't rename
package just because we felt like it :).

With 1.0.7, Breezy has gone too far away from Hoary, and libcairo bindings
no longer work when compiling Breezy 1.0.7 on Hoary. So, our options are:

1) Just use the aptitude process you described

2) Use Breezy 1.0.6 diff.gz's against 1.0.7 sources and create a 1.0.7Backport

3) Work with the Firefox maintainer to remove 1.0.7's incompatible patches
and compile a backport.

4) Get hoary-security packages to properly override hoary-backports

Backports-style firefox packages are identical to what Breezy has, so the
upgrade to Breezy has been confirmed time and time again to be working
properly. It's the hoary-security packages that have introduced the weird
unthinkable case.

I personally perfer 4. A few Conflicts: lines would fix everything.