Ubuntu Unity desktop

Rob Dawson radawson at netspace.net.au
Mon Dec 4 08:03:08 UTC 2017

I made the switch to the Gnome desktop in 17.04 and it was the best
thing I could have done.  I never felt really comfortable with Unity and
I find Gnome is much more suited to how I work.  I added the Gnome
extension "Dash to Dock" and I find it superior to the Unity dock in
that I can place it in any location (I use the bottom of the screen) and
I can duplicate it across multiple monitors.  Gnome uses the Window key
for a similar functionality to the HUD and it's quick and responsive.
In a nutshell Gnome just feels like it's integrated much better with the
OS and I don't miss anything about Unity now; in a very short space of
time I was comfortable with Gnome and have been even happier with it as
time passes.

Rob