internet filtering options

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sat Mar 10 11:17:27 UTC 2012

On 10/03/12 19:40, Dave Hall wrote:
> Dear Senator Conroy,
>
> On 10/03/12 20:22, Tom Sparks wrote:
>> I looking at internet filtering options for work, we have 10 computer
>> running windows XP/vista, the filter well need to be
>> transparent/forced because we have public laptops that connect to the
>> network.
>> what are my options?
>
> You haven't specified what material you want to limit access to.  You
> could use OpenDNS's blacklisting services and block all outbound
> requests to port 53 while having an internal DNS that used OpenDNS to
> lookup all DNS queries? Another option is to use iptables to send all
> outbound port 80 traffic through squid which would be configured in
> transparent mode and use a filtering tool such as squidGuard or
> DansGuardian.

Another similar one to OpenDNS is Dyn's Internet Guide
(http://dyn.com/labs/dyn-internet-guide/).  They are both a quick & easy
way to add basic filtering, both have the ability to add whitelists &
blacklists.  Nowadays, hosted solutions like these are a better choice
for most sites than locally-hosted solutions; the benefit of protection
against common malware sites with almost no effort is pretty compelling,
IMO.

Paul