Evince not opening PDF

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 13:59:29 UTC 2012

It appears to be something to do with the formatting on the first page.  It takes about 40 seconds or maybe more to render it on my machine.  If I scroll off the page and back again, I have to wait for it all over again.  I don't seem to be able to print it but I only tried once: interestingly it's the first time I've seen a parent process (Evince) register 150+% CPU usage (on a dual core machine) in top.

It's either something in the PDF that is borderline wrt the PDF 1.7 standard, or it is a bug in Evince.  I note that the document has been produced possibly in some sort of publishing software and then converted to PDF 1.7 by something called "Elixir PDF Converter".

PDF 1.7 would appear to be a good choice because it's a full featured standard with an equivalent ISO standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#PDF_1.7
The problem with converting one document format to another however is that it's possible for the output code to be overly complex or even nonsensical.  I'd say try some other PDF viewers as has already been suggested, and possibly log this as a bug in Launchpad.

Chris