Launcher 'dodge' taken out of Precise

Stephen Rees-Carter stephen at rees-carter.net
Sat Feb 11 02:01:44 UTC 2012

I'm pretty annoyed at this personally. I love the 'dodge' feature of
the launcher, I didn't find it confusing, it made sense that you'd
always see it if the window wasn't full-screened. But I guess I've
been using it for a couple of releases now, so I am used to it's
functionality.

It's pretty stupid that the option is still a Toggle: On or Off.
It'd be nice if they provided the three* options as a drop down in the
Appearance settings, as there are many people like myself who prefer
the dodge behaviour. It's just forcing people to use CCSM or other
configuration tools - I personally use MyUnity which works really well
and is a lot safer than CCSM.

* There is a fourth option: the launcher is only hidden when the
full-screen application is focused, so it'll appear above the
full-screen app when a windowed app is focused. Not sure how popular
this one is, but it would be worth including too... maybe.

I'm also having issues with the sensitivity of the launcher - I keep
resorting to pressing 'Super' to open it :)

Thanks,
~Stephen

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Chris Robinson <fabricator4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just a heads-up on something we need to be aware of for Precise.  Those that
> aren't Alpha testing may not yet know that the launcher dodge feature has
> been removed.  Mark Shuttleworth's reply to a query on why this was done is
> here: https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07665.html
>
> The default behaviour is now to never hide, however the "always hide"
> setting can be found in System Settings --> Appearance --> Behavior.
>
> Windowed applications now position to avoid the launcher initially, however
> full screen apps are overlayed by the launcher.  I think most new users will
> change the behaviour to "always hide" as soon as they find out how to do it
> because of this.
>
> I can't fault the logic, but it feels broken now that I've finally gotten
> used to the dodging launcher.
>
> The method to reveal the launcher is not to 'push' against the left edge.
> There's a setting for the sensitivity of this however it doesn't appear to
> actually change anything on my machine.  Setting the sensitivity to max does
> not appear to make the Launcher appear any easier.  No doubt this is still
> being worked on.
>
> Chris

Stephen Rees-Carter ~ Valorin
http://stephen.rees-carter.net/