Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft from attempting to kill ubuntu and other Linux Distros.

Daniel Jitnah djitnah at greenwareit.com.au
Mon Sep 26 01:32:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:52:17 +1000
Ian Chennell <ian at chennell.com> wrote:

> Isn't this possibly all a storm in a teacup, at this early stage...??
>
> I can see a perfectly legitimate corporate use case for supplying PCs locked at BIOS level so they can't boot
> anything other than an SOE-approved and digitally signed OS image. This will remove the ability for corporate
> PCs to be "hijacked" with a non-SOE OS, which I'm sure will have many CIOs and SysAdmins breathing a little
> easier.

If there is such a demand, then it makes more (commercial) sense to have such boxes available as an option at a
premium price - so MS makes $ by charging premium, and those "legimate coporate" use case get what they want.
But does not a PC physically locked down, with BIOS Password and no other boot device than internal harddrive
accessible or USB boot disabled, achievee the same thing?   Also remember the emerging trend towards BYO
Computing, so there is a trend to less emphasis on "locked down" PCs, because there are other benefits to
allowing users more freedom in how they use their PC.

Daniel.

> But I don't think this will be the type of box/config you'd have to get as your home/personal PC. I imagine
> we'll just get a plain new PC, plus Windows 8 in a box, as a non-OEM option. The box might come with W8
> preinstalled, but it won't have to be a signed and locked version. Then we'd partition it up and set up
> Windows and Linux multiple-boot as per usual. Or just buy a box with no OS on it at all, and Linux all the
> way. AFAIK, the option to REQUIRE signed OS images is just that, one possible option in the system
> configuration...

Daniel Jitnah
Melbourne, Australia

e: djitnah at greenwareit.com.au