Ubuntu-AU Social Media

Joel Addison jaddi27 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:03:03 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to Jared about the use of social
media for the Ubuntu Australia Loco. I think we as a group need to
discuss how best to utilise the accounts/groups that we currently have,
and decide what could be changed to improve their functionality.

My proposal would be to set up a Twitter and identi.ca account for
Ubuntu-AU that could be used to broadcast events and other updates to
users of these services. Currently there is an identi.ca group for
Ubuntu Australia, but as far as I know there is no way to post messages
as the actual group. By having an official Twitter and identi.ca
account, people might take more notice of upcoming events that have been
posted.

Also, I have been looking into the benefits of a Facebook page vs a
Facebook group. A good comparison of both of these can be found at
http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-groups-pages-2010-02. One main
benefit I can see of having a page over a group is the ability to set an
easy to read URL for a Facebook page, as opposed to using a long,
convoluted URL that is set for a group. Also, a page will allow you to
post as the page, rather than as yourself in the group. Possibly it
would be useful to have both a group and a page, so events can be shared
slightly easier through the group, but posts can be sent out as the
page.

I have added an item to the agenda for the next meeting on June 10 for
us to discuss social media use. For those who cannot attend the meeting,
please send through your thoughts to the list so they can be raised at
the meeting.

Regards,
Joel