3g modem issue (MF668)

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 00:59:50 UTC 2011

> * I am think they are living in a black spot, they use moblie phones so that
>seams unlikely

Not really, being able to talk on a mobile phone and being able to use 3G are
completely different issues.  In my experience if you have anything less than
50% signal strength your ability to use 3G can be seriously compromised, or
non-existent.  I have an Optus PAYG SIM that I use in a USB 3G modem (Huawei
E160E) and also inserted directly into my Eee PC.  The Huawei gives a LED
indication of when 3G is active (Blue) or if it has had to downtrain to GPRS due
to poor signal strength/bandwith.  At home, it's very rare to get full 3G
connection and speed during busy times  - after 3.30PM on weekdays and on Sunday
afternoon, that sort of thing. At other times it can be blindingly fast if I do
manage to get a 3G connection such as at 2AM.

So, my ability to use the Optus 3G network can vary from completely unusable
(similar to what you are seeing) to blindingly fast.  Fortunately I got the 3G
wireless to get internet while traveling and have a wired connection for home
use which keeps the frustration to a minimum.  The Optus 3G seems to work very
well in most towns I go to.

To test the 3G modem you need to take it to a place where there's excellent
signal strength.  If it works there (and it should) but not at your friend's
place then you have a 3G coverage issue.  You should be able to get your money
back on the spend is the product is not suitable for the intended location.

Chris