NetworkManager Applet 0.8 Icon

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 08:17:03 UTC 2011

It seems (from the logs) that it wasn't able to correctly download the indexes
for the repositories, so it may have been confused about what it was to delete.

Also, I'm not sure installing over the top of a previous version is  actually
supported, even though it lets you install without formatting.  I've had one
failed install with the exact same results as you.  Someone else (on Ubuntu
Forums) was able to do this fine, which was good because their /home was on the
same partition as /.  Some people are born lucky.  :-)  It's not guaranteed to
work, and my feeling is that 11.04 as it is on the LiveCD is quite buggy.  None
of my installs have worked properly until I managed to run the updates, and that
goes for both Ubuntu 11.04 and Xubuntu 11.04 - The LiveCDs won't even work on
one of my machines.

I'd bet that if you do a proper clean install and format / then it will be
fine.  If you get errors but the system is still working, run the updates and
you should be fine.  The same thing goes if you can't start the desktop
environment but can get a terminal to do the updates.

Also, before you install from the LiveCD  you should check the MD5SUM as
published.  Having the "LiveCD work flawlessly" is no guarantee that you got a
good download or did a good burn, or that the installer will work correctly.  I
generally check the MD5SUM of the downloaded ISO, and then burn it (if I'm doing
so - USB installs are standard for me now) at the slowest rate, then check the
burnt disk for errors.

Chris.