NetworkManager Applet 0.8 Icon

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 19:20:43 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----
From: David Bowskill <davidbow at tpg.com.au>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Wed, 1 June, 2011 8:41:15 PM
Subject: NetworkManager Applet 0.8 Icon

Can anyone tell me how I can recover this icon ??

The nm-indicator applet is tied to the notification area and possibly to the
indicator applet.  People most often try to remove the social networking icon or
the me icon and find that other things disappear as well.  I think many of us
who don't use social networking just learn to leave the indicator icon for it
alone and ignore it since removing it deletes other stuff as well.

Try adding the notification area back to the top panel (right click and "Add to
Panel...") and then reboot.  I don't know why the reboot is necessary but the
indicator applet is always reloaded and reset on a reboot.  There's no
nm-indicator applet that can be added to the top panel in this way; I think this
is because it automatically links to the notification area and/or the indicator
applet and gets displayed.  It's also not possible to move the nm-indicator icon
around as it always appears to the far right - if you move all your indicators
around it will eventually finish up at the far right corner of the screen.
Sometimes moving the indicators is a good idea - I've heard of the nm-indicator
applet being stuck (hidden) behind one of the others.

Chris.