11.04

Jason Warner jason.warner at canonical.com
Fri Apr 8 04:44:06 UTC 2011

First off, I think it is important that I say that I'm the Ubuntu desktop
manager working for Canonical. Even so, these are my views and my personal
opinions....take them for what they are worth.

I've used all manner of desktops over the past couple of years (all Windows,
OSX, Gnome2/3, KDE, XFCE...heck, I even tried Bodhi w/ Enlightenment) and
using Unity for the past several months day-in and day-out makes me
appreciate it more and more. I tend to customize quite a bit and do quite a
bit w/ compiz that most might not (I do keep a stock machine just so I can
always test the default experience) but I was amazed at how quickly Super,
Super-# and Super-s became part of my workflow. Out of the box, Unity is by
far the most usable desktop I've used, especially when you consider
everything you get under the hood with compiz.

I also like the look-and-feel of Unity (admittedly, I like to install an
icon pack, Faenza...I think Unity looks Fan-freakin'-tastic w/ the Faenza
icons installed), which is probably debatable to some people...just my
opinion.

Other things I really like in Natty are getting 'System Settings' for a
one-stop-shop configuration area. Also like Banshee quite a bit and the new
Firefox is really quite nice. U1 is is also VASTLY improved (not just the
icon ;) ) and I find myself using U1 more and more and dropbox less and less
(nothing wrong w/ dropbox...just dogfooding here and since U1 has gotten so
good, there seems no need to keep Dropbox around). And LibreOffice w/
lo-menubar installed is great.

Things I'm not as pleased with are that more apps haven't updated to
indicators from systray. I still like to have those there and I wish more
apps updated to indicators. Perhaps by 11.10 we can get more to move to
indicators and I'll be a happy camper.

Just my $.02

-Jason