11.04

MoLE moleonthehill+ubuntu-au at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 22:52:50 UTC 2011

On 7 April 2011 23:13, IKT <noname420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heya,
> Has anyone been mucking around with 11.04?
> What do you think of it so far?

I've been testing natty since the early alphas on an older Acer Laptop
that I no longer use for production work.

Reading the discussion about the Unity interface has been enlightening
for me - mainly because I have never seen it on this machine - either
in 2d or 3d incarnations.

In terms of a Gnome offering, it is certainly slick.  Getting used to
the alterations in the applets (the new all-in-one type) has been a
bit of a challenge, but learning is part of the alpha-beta-rc testing
cycle.

I am disappointed that this release is the first ubuntu release (since
04.10) that I haven't been able to get working in it's default
configuration on this laptop.

I don't believe it's a hardware issue, as I've never had problems
running compiz in all it's forms on this particular laptop.

For those that are interested it's an rv250 model radeon card, which
has been supported in kernel / x for many years.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon#head-8ad75f5b8c858723a20706910cabcef7ed6d336c

I'm a huge ubuntu fanboy, I've used it since the beginning.  Ubuntu
enabled my family to finally get away from Windows, but I'm hoping
this isn't the end for us.

I will continue to play with natty, and I hope that I will eventually
see unity in some form on my hardware.  I'm not giving up yet, but the
seeds of doubt have been planted.

I look forward to the next round of bugfixes - each batch of updates
gives me hope. :-)

Cheers,

MoLE