Leadership Structure

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:07:21 BST 2010

On 17 May 2010 22:30, bwright <bwright.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a very simple odd numbered comittiee of 3 to 5 people would be
> the best system. It is simple it allows for effective work delegation
> and it suits the nature of the community. These people would be openly
> nominated for their work in the community and votes would be held. Any
> sort of state delegation should be left for the LUGS we are really
> just a community connected by the internet and we shouldn't try to
> complicate things by over regulation.
>
> On May 17, 10:16 pm, Matthew Rossi <m... at pcpodcast.org> wrote:
>> Based on the IRC meeting, I'm starting another thread to discuss how the
>> Ubuntu-AU LoCo can best structure leadership for the future.
>> I ask that all who participate in this to please follow the CoC (ie be
>> respectful of other people's opinions, provide constructive criticism etc),
>> and to please not stall this process at any stage.  I encourage opinions
>> that are not ego-centric and take the best interests of our community into
>> consideration.
>>
>> The focal point of this thread will be a wiki page created which lists some
>> suggestions of models that the LoCo could consider using.  You can find this
>> athttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-au/council/structure
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Matthew Rossi
>> m... at pcpodcast.org
>> Tel: +1 253 987 6413
>> Mob: +61 488 122 990
>>
>> --

I think the idea of a "council" scares people because it makes it seem
like you would need to approach them to get approval for
events/ideas/etc. I think most things just need someone willing to do
them and as long as it follows the Code of Conduct why should you need
to ask permission? Before we go ahead and organise a large group of
people to form a council we need to ask ourselves what are the
decisions that we are expecting a council to make? I cannot see
anything that would require approval from a council within our Loco
team.

I have added in a point 1A to the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-au/council/structure to outline what I
think is the most likely, workable solution. All it does is make sure
the team can have a place to function. No one person (or group of
people for that matter) should be "responsible" for all the
events/ideas/meetings for the whole team. That is why we have a team,
so that anyone and everyone can contribute to the promotion of Ubuntu.
We don't need titles to stroke people's egos in the hope this will
suddenly make them have epiphanies on how it will all be better, we
need people willing to DO things to make it all better. The mailing
lists/websites/IRC are all just places to facilitate the team to get
the job done.

I believe regular meetings would assist in getting people together to
discuss the ideas that people have and point them in the right
direction as to who within the team is best suited to help out if
required. The mailing list is a good backup for those not able to
attend meetings for whatever reason. This is the ultimate form of
transparency, no council could be as open as a public IRC meeting or
public mailing list.

Regards,

Jared Norris