Linux and Ubuntu on Laptops & Notebooks

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Mon Mar 29 06:00:12 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 20:47 -0700, harry at ipunix.com wrote:

> I would like to know on any of you that have experience in getting a
> Next "G" wireless broadband modem to work on Ubuntu.

In the last few years I have used 3, virgin, optus and telstra's
networks with various devices from Hauewi and Sierra and a novotel
pcmcia modem.  Some times there have been a few hoops to jump through.
One of the most frustrating things is the way ubuntu seems to regularly
regress usb modem drivers, which is very frustrating.

Using a modem as a tethered modem support via network manager would be
nice too.  Using a 3G modem with network manager is a very simple
process these days.

Cheers

Dave