Dyslexia & IRC

Norm, VK3XCI vk3xci at aanet.com.au
Sun Mar 21 03:57:37 GMT 2010

Hi Paul and others,

I have in fact got a work-in-progress on this very issue. I've had
sixty-something years to sort it out, and my "case" was pretty mild to start
with. My son is not so lucky, 'tho' not as bad as some.

Basically, looking at a printed page is chaos, literally, and requires some
effort to restore order. Considerable effort in some cases. So much so that by
the time you get to reading the last word on a line the first is forgotten, so
making sense of it all can be quite draining.

Now, consider what happens when the page is chaos to start with!

Some IM clients allow you to set a colour for each person. That works like a treat!

Having said that, there are more variations and permutations of Dyslexia than we
can ever enumerate. It's a pretty individual thing from reading the the odd word
backwards (Skabetti is the classic!) to the aforementioned full blown chaos!

Some people such as myself, become extremely pedantic about the written word.
Others, like my son, cheerfully embrace the chaos.

Thank you for asking! Being a community thing, perhaps there is somewhere on
Ubuntu I could post some info... or maybe I should blog it myself?

Meanwhile...
keep all sentences short with one subject and one predicate (look it up :) )
use lotsa dot points for questions
leave plenty of white space to break up the chaos.
If yu carnt undastand it, reed it owt lowd.  :)

73 de Norm, VK3XCI
Mildura, Australia
The Wintersun City
QF15bt.