Save the Planet!

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sat Mar 20 08:48:24 GMT 2010

Dave Hall wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 17:14 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> Melissa Draper wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have a blog? Does it occasionally mention Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> If you answered yes to both of those questions, then congratulations!
>>> Your blog qualifies for a listing on the Ubuntu Australian Team blog
>>> syndication feed at http://planet.ubuntu.org.au!
>>> Those with existing listings on the Ubuntu-Au planet that need the URL
>>> updated (I'm looking at you, Ben and Harrison) or a picture added should
>>> also heed this invitation and send relevant information to me.
>>>
>> To those people who already have a blog on planet: it would be really
>> great if you could provide Melissa with a URL that filters out articles
>> on your blog that are not about Linux & Ubuntu.  I grabbed the RSS feed
>> and found some stuff that i consider (how can i put it nicely?)
>> less-than-relevant.
>>

> I'm not sure which items you are referring to.  I just looked at the
> front page and I could only find 1 item which I thought had no
> connection to Ubuntu or FOSS.
>
> If this is to be new policy for the planet, feel free to remove my blog.

I have no ability to set policy for the planet.  It was only a
suggestion.  And your blog was one of the most relevant.
> I have stated in another thread recently that I have no interest in
> tagging items specifically for the ubuntu-au planet.  A lot of my stuff
> is broadly related to FOSS, and you will also get some random stuff too.
> The same policy applies to the LA planet.

Stuff that is broadly related to FOSS makes sense.  Apollo missions and
open letters to TV stations seem to me to be a little hard to classify
as FOSS-related.  Maybe i missed something in the content, because as
soon as i started reading some of those key words, my brain
automatically went into "skim mode"...
> Take the good with the bad, that is the beauty of a free for all planet.
> If you don't like the planet content you are free to unsubscribe then
> (optionally) subscribe to the relevant tag/s feeds of the blogs on the
> planet you are interested in.

It's all well and good to say "if you don't like it, don't subscribe",
but then i have to ask: who are we hoping to benefit by running it?  Is
it just to drive more hits to our individual blogs?  I don't subscribe
because all these people are my mates and i want to know what they are
thinking about.  I subscribe to get news relevant to the Ubuntu-AU
community.

Paul