Local Ubuntu conference [Was: Metrocracy vs democracy]

bwright bwright.au at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 12:15:34 BST 2010

Why do people find structure so critical to a community. We are a
group of people interested in Ubuntu and the progression of Ubuntu in
Australia. Do we need to hold conferences with minutes and boards?
None of this is at all binding so how can you expect anyone who does
not get their "voted" leader in to at all follow any rules set by the
leaders or follow any policy they disagree with? Pretty much you have
no way of enforcing users comply to any of your demands. In my opinion
the only viable option is to act as a community and not a company and
let the community participate in activities they wish to participate
in. I am prepared to participate in a constructive way to improve
Ubuntu and open source and free software. I am not prepared to sit at
an AGM. Just my 2 cents. But then again a conference would be cool if
we could talk about tech? Such a strange idea.