Adding Disks to system

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Thu Apr 29 11:38:42 BST 2010

On 28/04/10 14:00, Chris Martin wrote:
> Peter.
>
> This the short version...
> Contact me if you need more specific instructions

A few suggestions, given that this was the short version.  :-)

> Once you have the drive installed.
>
> use "gparted" - this is a GUI tool that will partition and format the
> new disk

I'm not sure if gparted allows you to specify a label for the
filesystem.  If it doesn't, then you can add one later (with e2label),
but i would strongly recommend adding a label, since then it makes no
difference where the disk is connected.  I would suggest a label of
something like "/home".

> The mount it in a convenient location (say /mnt)
>
> Copy your existing /home to /mnt - takeing care to preserve
> permissions and ownership

rsync is probably the best way to do this: you would run "rsync -SHavx
/home/ /mnt/" (don't miss the trailing slashes).

> umount /mnt,
>
> mount your drive as /home - this will replace the directory /home with
> the content of the drive (however the original data in /home will
> still be preserved, just not accessible while the drive is mounted)
>
> test..  test.. test..
>
> if all goes well, unmount /home,
> double check it is unmounted ...  and check again
>
> delete the origional /home contents
>
> mount the drive as /home (again)

Great advice there - mounting over the contents allows an absolutely
painless recovery method if it doesn't work: just unmount the filesystem
and you're back exactly where you were.

> edit /etc/fstab to make the change persistant across reboot and have
> /home mounted automatically on reboot

When you edit fstab, use LABEL=/home for the device instead of /dev/sdb1
or whatever you've been using so far.  That way, you can move the drive
around without any issues.

Paul