Adding Disks to system

Chris Martin chris at martin.cc
Wed Apr 28 05:00:42 BST 2010

Peter.

This the short version...
Contact me if you need more specific instructions

Once you have the drive installed.

use "gparted" - this is a GUI tool that will partition and format the new
disk

The mount it in a convenient location (say /mnt)

Copy your existing /home to /mnt - takeing care to preserve permissions and
ownership

umount /mnt,

mount your drive as /home - this will replace the directory /home with the
content of the drive (however the original data in /home will still be
preserved, just not accessible while the drive is mounted)

test..  test.. test..

if all goes well, unmount /home,
double check it is unmounted ...  and check again

delete the origional /home contents

mount the drive as /home (again)

edit /etc/fstab to make the change persistant across reboot and have /home
mounted automatically on reboot

Cheers
Chris Martin
m: 0419812371