question re mobile internet connection

Paul Schulz paul at mawsonlakes.org
Sun Apr 18 12:28:26 BST 2010

Hi Richard,

I had issues with a USB Modem from 3 that has two USB devices in it..
a memory device and the modem.  They are designed for use with Windows
hosts where there are drivers on the memory device, which then
'switch' the device to the USB modem once loaded.

I wish there was a list of modems somewhere (from Australia vendors)
which we knew worked with Ubuntu. Someone has done an excellent job
putting the  details of providers into network-manager. That part of
it looks like it 'just works'.

(I bought the modem as it was the only on that came with the 3-prepaid plan.)

I have yet to get a working solution for me, but 'usb-modeswitch'
package appears to be one place to look. (I couldn't get it to work,
but I was only trying it out.. )

Cheers,
Paul