Installing Ubuntu on a new PC

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sat Apr 17 16:18:30 BST 2010

On 17/04/10 18:30, Mitch Towner wrote:
> Hi Geoffrey,
> I believe that "option 2" would be your best plan of attack. You can
> load the files from your backup copy of your old home  directory.
>
> That's basically what I do as I've never really had much luck with
> upgrading. I prefer to do a fresh install for a new release&  copy
> across my backed up data.
Hi Geoffrey,

Please be aware that Mitch's experience with upgrades is certainly not a
"normal" experience.  Ubuntu (and Debian, from which it originated) is
designed to be easily upgraded.  My laptop has been upgraded from hardy
-> intrepid (not very long spent there) -> jaunty -> karmic and i have
been very happy with the success of upgrades.

(This may not change which option you choose, but please don't assume
that upgrades are bad - they aren't.)

Also, be aware that the first month after a stable release will probably
result in quite a number of packages being updated to fix important
bugs.  If your ISP plan has an off-peak time, you may want to leave your
PC on overnight and schedule updates to occur then.

Paul