ubuntu-au Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22

Andrew Gaydon gandella at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 01:46:53 BST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM, colin mcdermott <
colinjamesmcdermott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> >> The ubuntu-au community is not lacking structure - it's lacking
> motivated people. Get out there - do stuff to promote Ubuntu in
> Australia. If you do enough, you'll become known within the Ubuntu-au
> community, and the leadership or power (or whatever you want to call
> it) that you worry about will be shared with you.
>
> This model is fundamentally Undemocratic. While I agree that it is better
> to be an active member then a complaining member I must shoot down the
> notion of power being dispersed as a whim. The Community should be
> appointing it's own members through an elected process. Not having the
> leadership appoint people on a whim!
>
> I ask that if the current model is appointment based that it be refuted and
> regular elections called. The group should embody the spirit of Ubuntu!
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin McDermott

Colin, yes I agree.

        Ubuntu the philosophy
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)

        I like the Zulu take on 'leadership'

        "A leader who has "unhu" is selfless and consults widely and listens
to his subjects. He or she does not adopt a lifestyle that is different from
his subjects and lives among his subjects and shares what he owns. A leader
who has "unhu" does not lead but allows the people to lead themselves and
cannot impose his will on his people, which is incompatible with "unhu"."

         This does not to say that a 'Leader' is not required, but that
he/she 'Represents' the wishes of his/her people.

         BTW  'unhu' is 'Ubuntu' in the 'Shona' language which is spoken in
Zimbabwe.   (I learned something new today)

Cheers,

Andrew G.