LEADERSHIP and a ROADMAP

Michael keltoiboy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 02:39:35 BST 2010

On Apr 13, 10:42 am, Peter Schwenke <pe... at bluetoad.com.au> wrote:
> I am of a similar opinion to Daniel with regard to bureaucracy.
> However, I have been biting my tongue.
>
> The current set up is not stopping anybody from doing anything.

Isn't it? Then why can't I get a straight answer to why does this
mailing list have references to porn in it and how can I get rid of
them?

> IMO the effort spent on drawing up leadership plans and roadmaps could
> be spent on testing and (for the more technical folk) fixing bugs
> (providing patches).

The issue here is the re-approval asks for a Roadmap, so it does need
to be discussed.

> If a package you are using has issues, investigate why and report it.
> For example, you might see it has been fixed upstream.
>
> If you have some software you see that needs packaging for Ubuntu,
> package it up.

Totally beside the point with regards to this discussion. We are not
talking about the entire Ubuntu community, instead we are talking
about Ubuntu-AU. Mixing them up does nothing except for clouding the
issue being discussed.

> If you would like to do something in the wider community, send a message
> to the list and see if you get help (and maybe advice) and do it.

Like get the references to porn of the Mailing list membership list?

> If you have the ability to answer questions on forums, put some effort
> in to that.

I already do and thats because this community is dysfunctional.

> Then, after doing something, if you want a title or "belong", become an
> Ubuntu member or something.

In that process already but why can't people like me also want to help
Ubuntu-AU expand. Why can't we have an open and honest discussion
about our local scene instead of having the global scene thrown in to
confuse the issue.

> By doing the above some people will show leadership in organising something.

Do you know how many people in this mailing list are seen to be active
in the regular forum? Let me say that it looks like there aren't many
of us there often.

> IMO, having elections and boards and titles etc does not make  any of
> the above happen.   If you have 9 people, some of their circumstances
> will change, they'll no longer be available to contribute.   I'm sure
> many people here have been involved (or know others)in various clubs.
> The same story.... Then you get the politics and vested interests and
> perceived vested interests... and ...

I really think you miss the point. This is a discussion about
transparency and the real lack of it. If you don't want the system to
change that is fine lets have a vote and see what the entire Ubuntu-AU
community think and lets then honour that choice regardless of what it
is.