LEADERSHIP and a ROADMAP

Andrew Gaydon gandella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 00:54:38 BST 2010

Dear Friend,

 I think that you miss the point.
 I will explain.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Daniel Sobey <dns_server at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> It's a great idea on paper but i do not see it working with a community
> our size.
> Currently we have 24 people in #ubuntu-au-chat and 38 in #ubuntu-au, we
> have around 300 people on the mailing list.

  Why are people not active ?     if we have 300 people on the mailing list
  How many people are currently signed-on to the ubuntu-au website that are
not on the mailing list or on the
  official team list ?    Why do they not subscribe or become official ?

> At release parties we do get 20-30 people to meet up in but I don't see
> that anywhere near big enough to support anything like lug style
> meetings. Australia is also quite big with people in the capitol cities
> and not a lot else. Perhaps Sydney or Melbourne might have the numbers
> but if only 2 places have the council what is the point?

  With Brisbane that makes  Team-contact + web-master + 3 representatives
that makes 5 people.

  The 'Point', is not how many people are on the ACC, but that an ACC exists
so that 'people' can get-together in
  sufficient numbers to form a 'local LoCo' and take a seat on the ACC.

> We do need to change, but just adding 3 layers of bureaucracy will not
> help, perhaps in 5 or 10 years when our community has grown it will be
> needed but not now.

  You are right, perhaps in 5 to 10 years we will need 3 layers.  (it is a
blue-print for the future)

  The model doesn't call for this until the numbers are sufficient.
  And a 'state-council' is only created if there are more than 5 reps on the
ACC (in the same state).

> So the question is if the current system is not working, or not working
> as well as it should why is the proposal is to replace 1 person with
> potentially 9 people.

   Providing a structure for people to come forward to share the leadership.

> There is some space for more people to step up into leadership but i'm
> not sure if anyone has come forward and offered themselves up. Perhaps
> part of the problem is that no one has come up with ideas and everyone
> is looking to Melissa for everything. Her approach is to let everyone do
> what they want and leave them up to themselves.

   There are many 'leaders' in this group, but there is no encouragement for
them to stand-up.
   There is no 'leadership role' for them to take.

   "i'm (you) are not sure if anyone has come forward and offered themselves
up"
   - That is because there is no transparent process for leaders to come
forward.

> I think there is a place for leadership but there is little point in
> adding another layer. If you think you have something to contribute go
> ahead and contribute, we need all the help we can get. You do not need
> to be approved before doing anything just make your suggestion and the
> community will help as much as we can.

  There is no 'extra layer', there are 'extra people' in leadership roles.
  Individuals can still do anything that they like.

   'One person can achieve a little, many people can achieve a lot'

> The question we should be asking is what needs to be done and what isn't
> being done with the current system and how adding this will help.

   "An open and transparent 'Leadership' as there is currently none.
    An ACC will provide 'Advisory, Support, Leadership & Co-ordination, a
Local contact"

> Regards,
> Daniel

Regards,