Upgrading to Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Mon Oct 19 04:56:49 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 14:33 +1100, Tim Mullins wrote:
> You must have missed the bit where the guy says he is using a WUBI
> install of Ubuntu inside the Windows C:\ Drive.

I read that bit and for some users that is the best option for their
needs.

> Your instructions probably will not work for a WUBI install, as it
> uses a Virtual Hard Drive Images like a Virtual Machine.

As the file system sits on top of the disk, it most likely will work.

> Even if they did work, it is known that a WUBI install is slower than
> a real install, so my point to the user who asked the question was
> that since your running a WUBI install you should do a clean install.
> Funny how you ignored that bit and took the rest completely out of
> context.

If the user is happy enough to use ubuntu under wubi, then there is
little point in recommending the change.  If they have a relatively
recent PC, they are unlikely to find ubuntu slow under wubi.  Yes it is
slower, but so too is windows.  Funny how no where has the OP suggested
that wubi is slow or he is unhappy with it, yet you encourage him to
drop it.

So my point remains, it is a very valid option to upgrade to karmic
under wubi and then optionally upgrade the filesystem to ext4 - no
reinstallation is required.  Many home users are unlikely to notice the
benefits of ext4, they just want an OS that works.

Cheers

Dave