phpMyAdmin and MySql Query Browser Passwords

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Sun Nov 15 15:56:28 GMT 2009

Hi David,

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 22:38 +1100, David Bowskill wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have the need to construct a database for a voluntary association and
> wish to use MySQL Query Browser and/or phpMyAdmin.

Depending on their requirements it might be easier to find an existing
webapp which does 80% of what and they can use that.  Designing
databases and building the administration code can be a large
undertaking.

> I am very new to all this stuff.
>
> MySQL Query Browser and phpMyAdmin both open up OK but ask for :
>
> Server Host Name - is this 'localhost '?

In the case of phpmyadmin it should be.  If you are running query
browser on another machine it won't be and you will also need to change
your mysql configuration to handle this.

> User Name - I don't remember setting one - is there a way I can change
> this to what I want ?
>
> Password - Again, I don't remember setting one - is there also a way I
> can change this to what I want ?

You would have been prompted for the root password during the
installation of mysql.  As you are just starting out you can probably
purge the package (and any data) and reinstall it, this time make a note
of the password :)  Run the following 2 commands:

sudo apt-get --purge remove mysql-server-core-5.1
sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Note: do not do this if you have real data in your database that you
can't replace/reimport.

Then you should be right to go again.

Cheers

Dave