Problems with Ubuntu 9.1

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 8 00:40:45 GMT 2009

I read with interest the supposed problems with installing ubuntu 9.1
and getting applications to work. The implication was that it was much
easier with windows.  This is completely contrary to my experience.

I use XP home with programs such as Power Producer for video editing and
DVD creation. At the beginning of the year my mother board died and a
new one was installed with a clean installation of XP. So far I have not
been able to get Power Producer to work. The manufacturer of the
software says it is a driver issue, even though the l;ates drivers for
all the periperal cards were installed. Windows experts point to the
software.  No one wants to own the problem and so I have had to purchase
other programs.

I am gradually putting equivalent application on my Linux box and when I
can find a video editing program like VideoReDo , a good genealogy
program and a photoediting I will thankfully wave goodbye to Windows and
Microsoft.

Every application I have installed on Linux using synaptic package
manager has worked first time and I have never had problems with missing
components.

I would like to thank all those people who have devoted time and energy
to make this possible.

Regards

Peter Goggin