Laptops

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Tue Mar 17 22:36:52 GMT 2009

David Ryder wrote:
> I'm after a notebooks which I will only put Ubuntu (8+) on. I want the
> internet camera and mic built in (Ekiga, Skype).

Linux usually has outstanding hardware support. It will often detect and
work with hardware where Windows will require third party drivers.

The problem with laptops is that they may have a camera, card reader, or
wifi that is not supported by Linux and you can't always easily swap it
out after you have bought it unlike a desktop PC.

Google the name of the most popular models with linux or Ubuntu. People
often write up how much of the hardware works and what they had to do to
get it working. Buying computers that sell oversees with linux
preinstalled such as some Dells and netbooks is also a good bet.

Assume people shipping boxes in stores have no expert knowledge
whatsoever and will tell you any BS to get a sale. For that reason you
might as well take the purchase online and save some dollars.