Ubuntu Rebuild plus Music Importing and Mixing

db db.pub.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 03:05:54 BST 2009

Reinstall xp.BUT put ubuntu on it.
If you split the drive (real ubuntu install) and provide a set of
programs he can use to recover data from the drive. In fact, you could
use udev / run a script so that when X external hard disk is plugged
in it will attempt to mount the windows / data partition (if not
already mounted) and run rdiff backup / rsync (incremental /...) on
the files desired.  (if you use rsync make sure to use the various
options to ensure that it works with windows files resyncing
(--modify-window=1 i think...).

Audacity is an ok editor, he might need a commercial / higher end solution tho.

see (wiki) url for a list of general software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software

(this one, rosegarden might be of use).
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

You could always try windows off a cd /usb apparently this is
possible.... (i wouldn't do it unless you want to take an image of the
infected windows drive...).

Oh and you should scan the windows cd / hope it doesn't (if it is a
'un-official' disk) contain a trojan /backdoor. (using system
internals process monitor you might be able to identify the malware if
you cannot already). (clamav might be a good option too / clamwin
(windows) http://www.clamwin.com/ )