Introducing Ubuntu to Club Members.

Michael Harold mike.harold at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 12 12:03:28 BST 2009

Greetings to Melissa and List Members,

If you would care to look up http://www.tact.org.au you will see where I
am at!

Having been one of the tutors for Absolute Beginners and a Committee
member for over a year, and enjoyed it, I have suggested to the
Committee that the Club should offer guidance to its members on the
installation and use of Ubuntu.

The Club uses and distributes OpenOffice.org Writer and other freeware
already as standard teaching aids, so why not go "the whole hog" and add
Ubuntu?

As most of the members are of retiring age with the associated
restraints on spending, but still want to be able to store and organise
family photos, write and receive e-mails - even have a go at keeping up
with the grand kids, Linux and particularly Ubuntu has distinct
financial advantages to say the least!

The Club is holding its AGM on the first of July at which I hope to have
a running slide presentation going, plus a static display with handouts
advertising Ubuntu and its advantages.

To that end I feel certain that there are at least sources of material
that could be of interest to the Club Members and maybe someone who has
"Bin-there-done-that" whose experience would be invaluable to us.

Please note the rather short time for replies and required activities.

Hopefully,

Mike H.