Old Kernels . . .(never die!)

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 21:57:16 GMT 2009

2009/1/2 The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au>

> I am running Ubuntu 8.04.  It boots up on Kernel version 22.

Hello Dave and a Happy New Year to you too,

However, when booting up I am presented with several lines relating to
> older Kernel versions and their respective "recovery mode".  Obviously
> automatically saved as updates are installed.
>
> I read somewhere that old versions should be removed as they slow down
> the booting process.  Though I don't really have any complaint about
> what seems to me to be a quick bootup anyway.  It's just that I don't
> like all those lines of information in my face.
>
> So I have some questions please:
>
> 1.  What is the purpose of storing the old kernel versions?

In case a new kernel deactivates one of your hardware devices, you can boot
with a previous working kernel.

    2.  Any reason why I should not delete the oldies?  (And/or maybe
justsave the last superseded one?)

You can delete if you know which one you want to delete.  I always keep two.

    3.  How would I go about deleting them?

You can either open the boot menu (sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst) and alter
the number of displayed kernels to "2" rather than the default of "All"
(this will not remove anything but merely remove them from display) or you
can install-StartUp Manager (sudo apt-get install startupmanager) which will
give you a GUI.

While you are there, in either method, you can also shorten the boot delay
time from the default 10 seconds to (say) 3 seconds.

Andre

ubuntu-au mailing list