Old Kernels . . .(never die!)

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 1 21:11:56 GMT 2009

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.  It boots up on Kernel version 22.

However, when booting up I am presented with several lines relating to
older Kernel versions and their respective "recovery mode".  Obviously
automatically saved as updates are installed.

I read somewhere that old versions should be removed as they slow down
the booting process.  Though I don't really have any complaint about
what seems to me to be a quick bootup anyway.  It's just that I don't
like all those lines of information in my face.

So I have some questions please:

1.  What is the purpose of storing the old kernel versions?
2.  Any reason why I should not delete the oldies?  (And/or maybe just
save the last superseded one?)
3.  How would I go about deleting them?

Happy New Year . . . .

Dave W