Sharing printers without samba?

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Fri May 23 06:47:46 BST 2008

David Ryder wrote:
>       * Have your Windows computer use (via a network) a printer that is
>         attached to a Linux computer. CUPS can be configured to make the
>         printer accessible to the network.  ... "

> I want to share Ubuntu computers and printers with Windows. How can I do
> this without samba, as implied in the guide above?

The above guide only implies you can share *printers* without Samba.  It
makes no claims about files (what you've called computers).  You can't
share files from Ubuntu to Windows without it, unless you use a
different protocol (such as NFS) on the Windows clients.  Much bogosity
[1] lies down that path, and i highly disrecommend [2] it.

> I would very much rather not install samba as then I get all computers
> duplicated in Networks - once in Network and again in Network>Windows
> Network>CEDARS>
> I find this annoying.

That behaviour is completely normal and expected, even in Windows-only
networks.  By default, you are shown computers in the same workgroup.
However you can see all computers by going into the Windows Network and
looking at workgroups.  Because your workgroup is called CEDARS, you can
see it both in the top level view, and inside Windows Network.  My
suggestion: ignore the Windows Network icon.  :-)

The bottom line: if you want to store files on a Linux box and access
them from a Windows box, you need Samba on the Linux box.  If you don't
want to do that, store your files on the Windows box.

Regards,
Paul

[1] http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/bogosity.html
[2] http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=429358