To the experts and the "fanatic" supporters...

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Sat May 10 06:03:26 BST 2008

Victor Vahe Kevorkian wrote:
> I searched for "updated virtualbox-ose-modules package" and "universe
> proposed depos" in Google with no avail.
> Will it be possible to have help if someone knows about this?

Hi Victor,

Ubuntu Linux uses a piece of software called a "package manager" to add
and remove software.  Unlike Windows or Mac where you would venture out
onto the internet to find software to install to your machine, Ubuntu
Linux uses APT ("Advanced Package Tool") as a means of searching for,
installing/removing, and upgrading software.

Think of something akin to Windows Update, but for your entire system
head to toe.  No more searching google for obscure packages - instead,
you can use APT (either from the command line, or via the GUI
"Add/Remove..." tool under the Applications menu) to add software.  The
other benefits here are that the software is generally safer to install
than untrusted software off the internet that is potentially plagued
with viruses and spyware, and that you can upgrade your entire system at
the click of a button to the latest and greatest of all packages and
security updates.  Unlike Windows or Mac where you would have to manage
all software yourself individually, Ubuntu Linux gives you the power to
manage everything from one simple user interface.

To learn how to use it, I strongly suggest reading the Ubuntu online
help from beginning to end.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/index.html

In particular, the parts about enabling extra repositories (repositories
are locations where extra sets of packages are stored for technological
or political reasons).  In your particular case, VirtualBox is stored in
the "universe" repository.  Once you have enabled this (again, read the
link above and all of the articles below it), you will be able to
install VirtualBox with the click of a button.

If you are new to Ubuntu, the Ubuntu online documentation should be your
first port of call.  It has been carefully written to cover the most
important aspects of running and maintaining an Ubuntu Linux system.  I
don't intend this email to come across as the normal "RTFM NOOB!" type
emails you get from some mailing lists, but honestly the documentation
provided is first-class, and will answer almost all of the questions new
users could come up with.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Enjoy!

-Dan