Hardy Issues

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Sun May 4 10:54:39 BST 2008

Simon wrote:
> //goodvibes-desk/C /media/windows_c smbfs
> password=*****,fmask=0777,dmask=0777 0 0
> //goodvibes-desk/E /media/windows_e smbfs
> password=*****,fmask=0777,dmask=0777 0 0
> //goodvibes-desk/F /media/windows_f smbfs
> password=*****,fmask=0777,dmask=0777 0 0
>
> When I execute sudo mount -a I get the following output:
>
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'fmask' is deprecated. Use 'file_mode' instead.
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'dmask' is deprecated. Use 'dir_mode' instead.
> mount error: could not find target server. TCP name goodvibes-desk/C not
> found
> No ip address specified and hostname not found
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'fmask' is deprecated. Use 'file_mode' instead.
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'dmask' is deprecated. Use 'dir_mode' instead.
> mount error: could not find target server. TCP name goodvibes-desk/E not
> found
> No ip address specified and hostname not found
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'fmask' is deprecated. Use 'file_mode' instead.
> WARNING: CIFS mount option 'dmask' is deprecated. Use 'dir_mode' instead.
> mount error: could not find target server. TCP name goodvibes-desk/F not
> found
> No ip address specified and hostname not found
>
> I can browse the host 'goodvibes-desk' and connect to it via Places ->
> Connect to Server... with no problems.
>
> Any idea how I should adjust the fstab?

The error is right there in front of you. :)

"mount error: could not find target server. TCP name goodvibes-desk/C
not found
No ip address specified and hostname not found"

Short answer:

change //goodvibes-desk/ with the IP address of the machine instead of
the hostname.  Your Linux machine is having problems matching up
hostnames with IP addresses, as the error states.

Long answer:

The default behaviour of the new builds of Samba are to not use NMB
(Name Message Block - ie: NetBios or "WINS").  This makes sense, as WINS
was a WindowsNT technology that was actually depreciated in Windows 2000
server, and not installed by default in Windows 2003 Server.  The
downside is that if you have a non-"Windows-Domain" home network (ie: a
"workgroup" in Windows language), you're going to need to do one of two
things:

1) Install a DNS server, and keep it up to date

2) Re-enable WINS in your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.  Edit the file (sudo
gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf), find the line:

;   wins support = no

And replace it (or add a line below it, as that one there is technically
commented out by the ";" at the front of the line):

wins support = yes

Also adding the line:

os level = 99

Below the "wins support" line may help if you find NMB resolution flaky
(this will cause your Samba server to have a better chance of winning a
master browser election during startup, and make it the master record
keeper of all hostname to IP mappings).

When done, save and exit.  Then restart Samba by typing "sudo
/etc/init.d/samba restart".

-Dan