On Bugs and Linux Quality

Daniel Morrison email at xxxdan.com
Tue Jun 24 13:15:51 BST 2008

Null Ack wrote:

> I dont see proper release management stifling any freedoms in FOSS
> projects. It just means having a proper quality standard before bits
> are declared stable and ready for production. I greatly enjoy Ubuntu,
> over all other distro's Ive tried (Arch, OpenSuse, Fedora) but I am
> certainly not the only person Ive seen sharing their views that
> arbitary time based releases arent condusive to good software.

I have had similiar experiences to what you describe.... but surely this
is what free software is all about! Choice.

If you are concerned about stability and showstopper bugs, choose
Debian, RHEL, etc.

If you are concerned about bleeding edge functionality and hardware
support, choose Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.

And don't forget to file those bug reports :-)

cheers

danm