Remote SSH

IKT noname420 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 12:33:19 BST 2008

It would also be in your best interest to (at least) change the default port
to something else besides port 22,

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1876

"Malicious SSH login attempts have been appearing in some administrators'
logs for several years."

"Then we examined who attacked the honeypot and what strategy these
attackers used. There were 23 unique IP addresses involved in the login
attempts. The attackers were more or less persistent in their attempts to
gain access to the system, as shown in Table 3. Ten of the sources tried
less than 50 combinations and then gave up. Five tried harder with
approximately 170 login attempts, and eight tried even harder with up to
1450 login attempts."

Changing the default SSH port from 22 to something else has seen the number
of bots attempting to get in from several per day, to die down to zero.

- IKT