Linux Servers for Infrastructure

Slawek Drabot sdrabot at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 08:00:41 BST 2008

I'm trying to PXE boot a thin client that has a Vortex86SX processor (no math co processor or fpu)

Error message:
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:0
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

any insights into the error code "0:0"?

I'm guessing it has to do with math emulation and fpu emulation being required in the PXE image. Been looking for instructions on how to build a bootable image for PXE (onto an LTSP server) where I can enable both emulations but nothing simple enough for me to understand thus far.

Any help appreciated.

"You can just use cron-apt and your own apt-repo to deploy applications and
manage updates, like Microsofts SMS but better.

Using PXE and a customised image you could network boot and install all the
machines as well, same as MS's RIS or WDS."