broadband with linux mirror

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 04:45:34 BST 2008

On 01/07/2008, Sebastian <sebastian.spiess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I recently moved and now I have to look into a new broadband connection.
>  Until now I was with AAPT but I consider a new carrier.
>
>  Which ISPs can you recommend in the Sydney area who have a not counted
>  Linux mirror for updates?
>  I know of iinet and internode but are there more or even better one?
>
>  I thought as well about naked DSL as we do not many local calls, if
>  only to calling card services for over seas.
>  By now I have a alder netgear router, am I correct that I can't use
>  this one for ADSL +2 or even VoIP?
>
>  Cheers,
>  Sebastian

Hey,

  In addition to the posts here, it may be worth some time looking
through the whirlpool forums. Most of the Australian ISPs have reps
that post there. For your question in particular try the 'Choosing an
ISP'[1] section.

  Here I use iiNet and and more than happy with the service - both the
actual 'net and the customer service. They have their 'iiNet Free
Zone' which has mirrors for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, *BSD, Gentoo,
Madriva, even cygwin. Have a look at the actual mirror site[2] or
Freezone list[3] to see if what you want/need is covered. Anything
downloaded from the freezone is shown on the usage graph but not
counted towards the quota.
  Other non-quota mirrors include some radio stations, GamersHell
(game patches, demos, previews etc), some game servers.

  I was previously with OptusNet Cable when living with my parents:
the noticable (so far) mirror that Optus has that iiNet doesn't is
Sourceforge.

cheers,
Owen.

[1] http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=92