emails open as attachments?

Simon Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 29 11:04:27 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 16:13 +1100, The Wassermans wrote:
> Okay, so now I have downloaded Thunderbird as recommended.
>
> I am trying to emulate some preferences I had in Outlook Express.  ie,
> I want to have my outgoing mails in the font you see here - Comic Sans
> MS but I want to receive incoming mails in the format they were sent.
> I go into tools>options> etc but the font changes I make effect the
> display of incoming as well.  I've been round and round the mulberry
> bush but can't seem to configure my preferences suitably.  I have
> returned to OE to send this - to illustrate what I want.

This email came up in a discussion I had offline with a few friends and
all of us agreed that plain text emails are just the way to go... and if
you have to use HTML ideally don't specify the typeface besides serif or
sans-serif. Finally, for the love of all that is good and holy, please
refrain from using Comic Sans MS for *anything ever*, other than perhaps
comics (for which there are better typefaces anyway). ^_^

The main reasons for not using HTML I think were outlined in the earlier
emails, but they essentially comes down to two things. Firstly,
security: it is possible to create malicious HTML code within emails
(this is in fact more an issue for Outlook Express users since the
product is quite poor regarding security) and it's larger and
unnecessary. I can understand that some organisations desire styled HTML
newsletter emails but that's about the extent of it.

Besides this font issue (which I hope we've convinced you shouldn't be
an issue...) how are you finding Thunderbird by the way? (I've never
asked anyone who has just moved from Outlook Express to Thunderbird).

Ta and toodles.

-Pascal