Telstra Infiltration?

Shane Handley shane.handley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:08:33 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:46 +1100, Joel Shea wrote:
> On 19/01/2008, Shane Handley <shane.handley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Have those evil F**ks been using this new gamearena repository to plant
> > their filthy malware into ubuntu machines? Is anyone else experiencing
> > this?
> >

> I'd suggest checking the md5 sums of your packages, before jumping to
> any conclusions.
>
> Joel.

I was jumping to conclusions. Telstra just makes my blood boil. It may
not be connected in any way to the repository, but I still feel
violated...

Furthermore, On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 00:02 +1100, Cefiar wrote:

> It's most likely not changed packages, but a technique referred to
> as "Wildcard DNS Records".
> Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net

Thanks for the explanation Stuart.

Predictably their opt-out instructions do not include Linux:

http://websearch.bigpond.com/bpdnshelp.do

I changed my DNS settings, but to no avail.

Can anyone rid me of these bastards? I get stabby whenever I see that
logo. Or is this something I will be forced to deal with as a BigPond
user?

Regards,

Shane