Motherboard Suggestions

Tate Johnson tate at tatey.com
Tue Jan 15 01:30:14 GMT 2008

On 11/01/2008, at 10:17 PM, Daniel Mons wrote:

> So that was 2007 in a nutshell for me when deciding between AMD and
> Intel.  Ironically it had little to do with either CPU, but more to do
> with the supporting motherboards, and the supplied onboard components.
> If Nvidia and Marvell could get their combined act together and assist
> the kernel developers to fix the last few remaining bugs, the
> platforms
> would be super performers.  Sadly it's little things like these that
> scare myself and my clients away from a brand for 2-3 years until we
> have the spare time to go through another phase of R&D and purchasing.

Agreed. I've heard some terrible stories about the nVidia nForce
chipsets under Linux (especially the SATA controllers). The problems
associated with the Marvell Yukon Gigabit NIC's are not specific to
the AMD platforms, they're a commonly found chipset on Intel based
motherboards too. None the less, Intel chipsets are renowned for their
stability and continued support for Linux and this primarily the
reason why I [now] purchase Intel platforms.

That said, my server currently utilises the nVidia nForce 570 Ultra
chipset and I haven't had a single issue! My previous desktop was
based on the nForce 2 Ultra chipset which was also problem-free.

Cheers,
Tate