ubuntu 6.10 login and password

noiesmo noiesmo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 08:53:59 GMT 2008

Hi pat

I would start your system with a Ubuntu CD, once at desktop mount the
drive( needs to be read/write) with your installation and check the
/etc/passwd file.

sudo mount -rw /dev/xxx /media/xxx

replace xxx with your drive letters eg hda1 sda1 etc

then

sudo cat /etc/shadow

root:$1dmgiNfdsfdsdsdiS9/9enEtG7tsXKwAp80:13428:0:99999:7:::

there will be others in there don't worry about them or adjust them

sudo nano /etc/shadow

remove all characters in between the first two :

my example

root::13428:0:99999:7:::

now reboot and you should be able to login as root with no password, now
set a root passwd and then set a new passwd for your user.  check /home
for your user name.

hope this helps

noiesmo