Rockbox, iPod nano, and Ubuntu 8.10

Simon Ives simon at simonives.info
Sun Dec 28 05:20:51 GMT 2008

Hi All.  I'm having a little issue with my iPod nano running Rockbox and
its interaction with Ubuntu 8.10.

*Hardware*
The hardware in question is:
- Apple iPod nano
	First Generation
	Model Number: A1137
	Storage: 4GB
	Date: 2005
- Rockbox version: r18356-080828
- Ubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq Presario V3118au

*Issue*
When I plug the iPod in to a free USB port it mounts without a problem
but only as 'read only'.  It's 'read only' when mounted on either of the
two user accounts.  The issue began about ten days ago, it didn't happen
after a software update and I haven't changed anything on the iPod.

I can interact with all of the files and directories if I execute the
following command *after* the iPod has already been mounted:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /media/SIMON\'\ S\ IP/

I can only interact with the iPod, however, from the terminal emulator
and if I navigate to another directory (not one on the iPod) and then
back again the iPod's file system becomes 'read only' again.  Even after
remounting the iPod is always 'read only' in Nautilus.

I'm stumped!

--

Simon Ives

simon at simonives.info
www.simonives.info

Please consider the environment before printing this email or any
attachments.