Ubuntu and PVR / Digital Television

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:36:36 BST 2008

2008/8/13 Owen Townend <owen.townend at gmail.com>

> 2008/8/13 James Purser <james at jamespurser.com.au>:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:36 +1000, Nick wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Was wondering if anyone has had success in using linux/ubuntu for this
> >> purpose? Is there a guide or kit list online that anyone can endorse?
> >
> > I myself use a winfast dtv1000 digital card. Software wise, I use a
> > project called MythTV.
>
> There is an Ubuntu variant called MythBuntu that as the name suggests
> merges Ubuntu and MythTV
> out of the box. http://www.mythbuntu.org/downloads
> MythBuntu is a preconfigured merger, but the same can be achieved
> simply by installing the 'mythbuntu-desktop' package available in the
> multiverse repository. This can be good to know as the MythBuntu discs
> are not always mirrored locally, but multiverse usually is (judging by
> my current iiNet mirror).
>

> >> Would like to be able to recieve both the free-to-air analogue and
> >> digital TV chanelns (in Standard Def is fine) and also record the
> >> shows... i presume i'll need some kind of remote or at least a wireless
> >> keyboard.
> >
> > If you are receiving digital then aiming for the analogue equivelants is
> > pretty much redundant.
>
> Further on this: The standard analogue channels are repeated as the
> Standard Definition digital channels,
> then more channels are added such as the High Definition channels, ABC2
> etc.
> You would really have to have a solid specific need for an analogue
> version to justify it.
>

> >> Or is all too hard and should i just go with the appliance from Dick
> >> Smith? Topfield 4410.
> >
> > The topfields are nice, really you need to ask yourself whether you want
> > something that is just plug and play without fiddling, or if you're
> > looking to build a home theatre system exactly the way you want to.
>
> If you are hoping for a smooth experience with MythTV it really pays
> to do a little research on the linuxtv wiki at
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_Devices
> There are many devices that will work. One easy way to do the research
> would be to check what tuners your usual PC supplier sells then check
> the wiki to see if they'll work.
>
> Hope this helps,
> cheers,
> Owen.

I'm the owner of two topfield units, One TF5000 PVRt Masterpiece and the
other a standard TF5000 PVRt

Suffice to say I'm now looking at my own Myth project, and am thoroughly
unimpressed with my Topfield experience.

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The ancients who wished to demonstrate illustrious virtue throughout the