newbie

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:14:07 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Lyneham Collins <lynehamc at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an ozzie in Germany.  Recently met someone who offered to install
> ubuntu on my laptop, amid my plaint over Vista.
>
> But I would rather do it myself, so that I can't blame anyone else if it
> gets a bit pear shaped.
>
> I would like to get up to speed with regard to Linux as it pertains to
> project mangement which is my profession.
>
> If I could make a controbution on  the less glamourous side of documenting
> any development, then I would like to help out in exchange for learning a
> little more and perhaps obtaining some help (in English, or better yet
> Australian!)
>
> I am MCSE certified, and I was completely disappointed in their failure to
> differentiate between marketing and education.
>
> My feeling is the experience will be different within the open source
> community.
>
> Any guidance for someone kicking off would be appreciated.
>
> Working remotely is of particular interest (Project Management, software and
> network support), so any offering you are aware of or can point me to would
> be great.
>
> I've just landed on the oz ubuntu page from here
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList
>
> and will have a look best regards,
>
> Lyneham

this might be a bit overwhelming... but I believe in letting people
make their own minds up.
Here is a bit of a list of project management software that you are looking for:
http://openproj.org/
http://www.project-open.com/index.html
http://ganttproject.sourceforge.net/
http://www.koffice.org/kplato/
http://www.taskjuggler.org/
http://live.gnome.org/Planner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software

plus other alternate Linux software
http://www.linuxalt.com/

Finally, 8.04 is released this Friday, I suggest waiting for that then
try out the new feature called "Wubi"
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc#head-87d0a87aa86aa19685191dac8a85075a9b4dbc7b

It will allow you to safely uninstall ubuntu from within windows
without affecting the boot loader and having to repartition before
hand.
It's a great way to get a feel for the OS.

personally I'm going to do the nearly final step and use ubuntu for my
work (sounds just like your job) because of the new Active Directory
support:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc#head-30a73f67153586f291a6eca6c093d790554d4269

:-) good luck

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono