script on unmount

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sun Apr 20 02:37:11 BST 2008

Sebastian Spiess wrote:
> As for your solution it seemed to me that it fits not my usage scenario:
> - home after work
> - plug in and synch
> - do something with the files on local hdd
> - before unmount sync new/changed filed back to USB
>
> When I get your idea right it will unmount right away!?
> Still I would like to test you idea but I am not sure where to place your code. in a shell script I assume. I have no idea
> about the daemon though.
>
> RE umount of busy drive I could use the lazy option.

A couple of things to consider here (if i'm understanding your goals
correctly):

- Unison is a utility that uses the rsync algorithm to do bi-directional
sync.  This means that you don't have to manage the bidirectional rsync
options yourself, but just run Unison every time either side changes.

- You can get GNOME to run a custom command on insertion of different
media types using System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media.  I
use this to sync my digital camera cards by getting it to run a script
which syncs the files (unidirectionally, in this case), then umount the
SD card.  Then there's no need to run a daemon or poll a driver.  A
possible down side to this is that you need to be logged in.

Paul